I am running Windows 8.1 and I use Firefox for my browser. I have had Google translate on my computer since it was new. Starting yesterday when I highlight a line of foreign text instead of translating it the line disappears and no translation is shown. I removed Google translate just now and put it back in my add ons and tried it again. Still the same problems. What's going on? Please send me any replies. Thanks, Tom.
First of all, thank you very much for the quick reply to us.
Could the selection replace be added back?
That's the defining feature of your addon, and it's crazy useful while working on translations, it saves me lots and lots of work daily. It could be an optional feature in settings maybe. Not only for translators, but for when people are reading a page in a foreign that language they understand but sometimes some words or sentences are not fully understood, but you don't want the hassle of another tab opening etc.
unfortunatelly for now we have to live with the new solution.
The reason of the previous text-disappearance and the change in the method of selection translation is that the Google Translate page was updated by Google to be more dynamic (https://blog.google/products/translate/new-look-google-translate-web/). This also involves that the translation doesn't happen the same way as before: previously the page was rendered with the translation so it could be fetched easily, but now it's loaded dynamically after the page is loaded. To handle this and provide the previous replace functionality, a lot of investigation should be done, which really I don't have the time for.
For these reasons, I decided to implement the most simple and fastest way to correct the text-disappearance: simply opening Google Translate every time. Later, I'll try to make some cosmetic changes on the specific method (maybe show the result in a nice popup), but I don't expect the old solution to return any time soon.
So honestly, I don't like it either, and I see a lot of you will decide to call this add-on useless as it saves you only the manual page opening and the copy-paste, but I hope even more of you will accept these changes and keep the add-on even for this functionality.
Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for the understanding.
I found an extension for Chrome called Auto-Translate that can fetch the translation from Google, even it being version 1.0 from 2016, so something in the code must be allowing this regardless of their changes. It can show a neat popup if you select text using CTRL, mouseover, ALT.
I don't know if you can figure something by looking at the extension file, but here is the link: